Healthcare and medical IoT development platforms
Healthcare industry has entered into the list of industries that have rapidly adopted Internet of Things (IoT). Integration of IoT in the healthcare sector has resulted in the advancement of the medical devices and facilities due to the accessibility of technologies like Artificial Intelligence, mobile technology and internet. The continuous development in this sector has led to the conclusion that by the year 2025, healthcare IoT industry will reach$1 trillion.
There are many applications of IoT including wearable, health tracker, diagnosis machines, smart fabric and online healthcare facilities. Thus, startups have a lot of opportunities to explore the potentials in this sector to provide best services to the patients and make profits.
Need of development platforms for healthcare
Wearable technology and wellness device technology are based on the IoT for providing e-tracking and online data reporting. Thus, timely and accurate healthcare services can be provided to the patients. Medical development platforms and sensors are helpful in tracking health. The developers integrate these sensors with the other medical devices for effectively assessing the health of the patients.
SPO sensor, blood pressure monitor, snore sensor, body position sensor and glucometer sensor are some of the important sensors which are used for monitoring their health.
Increasing trend of digitization of healthcare has led to the development of different types of healthcare apps and wearable devices. There are development platforms including medical imaging solutions, cloud applications, mobile applications and analytics solutions which allow the easy development of the healthcare apps and devices.
This helps the startups to utilize different types of platforms like MySignals, The Linux Foundation, The Edge Foundry and Kaa for developing the innovative apps and devices.
These development platforms are required by the healthcare entrepreneurs who want to provide the best digital healthcare solutions.
|Recommended for you|
|Will Medical IoT trigger a digital health transformation?|
|IoT security framework from CISCO for medical devices|
|Siren comes up with Smart Socks to prevent diabetic foot ulcers|
Companies offering different development tools and sensors
IRythym Technologies provides the integration of the cloud technology with the cardiac arrhythmias. It provides electrocardiogram device that you can easily wear. Big data solutions like Zypher Health, PHEMI, SCIO Health Analytics, Sandlot solutions, MeMed andBayLabs are some of the companies or startups that provide development tools and technology for developing different types of wearable and sensors.
Few startups that are working with the Brain Sensor technology include Neurovigil, InteraXon, Thync and Ybrain. All these companies aim at the development of the high-quality apps and sensors so that quality of healthcare services can be improved and health care becomes cost-effective.
Top medical IoT platforms and sensors for healthcare
- Arduino platform: It provides the pulse sensor that is based on the plug and play technology. Reflectance PPG principle is used in the devices for monitoring the heartbeat of the individual. The pulse sensor and microcontrollers are required to be built on the Arduino board.
- ThingWorx Technology Platform: This open source IoT platform helps in delivering the valuable services in the healthcare industry. Connectivity feature, new capabilities and remote monitoring allow the medical device manufacturers to beat the edge requirement.
- eHealth: It is another popular open source platform that offers different types of sensors for maintaining health. This platform offers bio-signal sensing capabilities.
- Raspberry Pi: This platform for healthcare provides the small-sized computer that is helpful in tracking records of your health. It is the single board that has an ARM11 microprocessor. It is used in the development of Electrocardiogram (ECG) devices. As it is helpful in maintaining records of your health, the nature of your disease can be identified.
- Appcelerator: It is the open source platform that allows the startups to create the healthcare mobile apps. Mobile APIs and Real-time analytics solutions are provided by this platform.
- BITalino: This is a type of open source development platform in Biomedicals. It helps in developing various types of sensors for the healthcare needs. Atmega328 microcontroller is used in this type of devices. Bitalino helps in measuring the electric signals that are produced by skeletal muscles. Change in electrical properties of the skin can also be measured with this type of development platform.
- Kaa: It is an open source platform for designing, building, managing and integrating the connected devices. It helps in connecting and managing connected devices through cloud technology. Prototyping can be done easily with this type of platform. Kaa offers superb usable functions with the integration of microchips in the wearable devices.
- Intel IoT: Reference architectures are created by Intel. Its platform can support more than a million of connected and unconnected medical devices and push the data to the cloud.
- MQ-3 Alcohol Gas Sensor: This sensor is used in the detection of the content of alcohol in the breath of the person. For any breathalyzer, this sensor is an important part. Analog resistive output helps you to recognize if the person is drunk or not. It has 5V DC or AC circuit and operates at around the temperature 10 to 70 degrees C.
- 2net: This is another open source platform in IoT. It is developed by Qualcomm life which provides various types of end to end solutions to the patients and medical professionals. 2net Platform is a cloud-based platform that helps in collection, transmission and storage of the patient’s data.
How does the future look for healthcare development platforms?
The digital health infrastructures provided by the healthcare entrepreneurs have paved the new avenues for the better health. In a survey report conducted by McKinsey, it was found that more than 75% of the patients are expected to switch towards the digital healthcare. This kind of popularity of the digital healthcare is because of the benefits that patients and the doctors get while using the digital healthcare means.
The percentage increase in the number of patients accessing digital healthcare is expected to increase more if the digital healthcare solutions are able to meet the quality. Thus, digital healthcare industry attracts entrepreneurs to think about the venture in this domain.
Development platforms provide interactive ecosystem through technology and make it easier for the developers to develop innovative healthcare solutions.
Entrepreneurs can easily access the development platforms and infuse their idea to get the innovative health IT products. Wearable healthcare devices, medical devices, big data, mobile app development and analytics require the use of development platform.
The low-code and no-code platforms will reach $15 billion by 2020. A lot of entrepreneurs are working on the latest healthcare development platform so that they can provide more precise and advanced healthcare solutions to the patients.
Image credit: www.pixabay.com